Chalk paint is a miracle. There isn’t any prep, sanding or primer!
And, you can paint over anything: laminate, wood, glass, plastic, FABRIC!
1. Apply first coat and let dry (around 30 mins).
2. Add second coat of paint and let dry (another 30 mins).
3. Apply wax with a brush and wipe off extra (with a lint free cloth).
4. Sand if you want a distressed look.
Before you begin:
*Make sure the paint is well mixed. Tip the can over for 30 mins and then give it a good shake. *Clean/dust your piece before painting.
While you’re painting:
*Keep in mind the paint dries very quickly!
*Don’t load your paint brush with paint. The paint is thick.
*Quick brushstrokes work best.
*Most pieces take 1.5 – 2 coats of paint.
*In between coats of paint, put your brushes in ziplock bags.
*Keep your paint covered. It can thicken when exposed to air.
*You can use a roller for chalk paint.
* You can add one coat and add a wash of a second coat (or even second color!) with watered-down paint.
While you’re waxing:
*Don’t overwax! Think about how you apply hand lotion –
put on a small bit and massage until it is absorbed.
*Use a brush to apply the wax and a lint free cloth to wipe off excess.
*YOU MUST USE CLEAR WAX FIRST BEFORE APPLYING THE DARK WAX.
*The dark wax adds dimension and age.
* You can use the clear wax as an eraser if you’ve added too much dark wax.
After you’re done painting:
*To clean brushes (paint & wax), wash with soap and water.
*Buff your piece 24 hours after your last coat of wax if you want a (slight) glass effect.
*You can mix chalk paint colors!
*Don’t overthink a piece. Just start to paint it – in a color you love!